Business Development Manager
As Business Development Manager you will play a fundamental role in developing future growth and provide vision on opportunity and market insight.
Flexitricity optimises flexible energy assets, trading them in wholesale markets and providing short-notice response and reserve electricity which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution as we strive toward net zero.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability and innovation. Flexitricity provides route to market services for generators, energy storage sites, and flexible commercial, industrial and domestic energy users. Further opportunity for flexing electrical load is being presented by the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity is a licenced electricity and gas supplier and trades its flexible portfolio of assets in wholesale energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. It also make flexible capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to earn revenue from their flexibility.
Flexitricity is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners. We are passionate and committed to sustainable and responsible business practice across all aspects of environment, social and governance, including delivering equal opportunities and an inclusive workplace. For more information on our ESG policies, you can visit the dedicated ESG section of our website.
Merchant energy storage and power generation, district heating, horticulture, food & drink, e-mobility, logistics, domestic, cold storage, banking, data, chemicals, manufacturing, recycling, water, healthcare, local government, education, retail, media.
Flexitricity is currently focused on the GB market only.
About the role
Flexitricity operates in real-time energy markets, delivering flexible electricity capacity at optimised prices to National Grid, DNOs and other market participants. Our job is to earn the best return for our customers using the flexible capacity they have available at the time.
Due to continued growth and success of the company, as well as a widening market and new services opportunities, a requirement for a Business Development Manager has been created. The role will report to the Head of Business Development within the Commercial Team.
The purpose of the role is to work as part of the existing Sales, Account Management and Marketing Team to establish, cultivate and convert your own pipeline of flexible assets. These assets will come from a range of sources outlined below.
• Grid-scale front of meter opportunities:
- Grid-scale battery energy storage sites (BESS)
- Co-located renewable/BESS sites
- Gas peaking plant
• Behind the mater opportunities:
- Industrial and commercial load flexibility
- District heating schemes
- Horticultural sites
- Electrification of heat and transport, including heat pumps and EV charge points
Full training will be provided on Flexitricity’s sector and the factors influencing its future development. However, an understanding of and experience in the energy sector will be preferred. An existing professional network in some of the above areas will also be beneficial.
As Business Development Manager, you will contribute to the development of the sales strategy and should expect to remain involved in projects up to commissioning. You will play a fundamental role in developing future growth and provide vision on opportunity and market insight.
Flexitricity is recognised as the premium provider in its sector and you will be expected to uphold this brand position through your engagement with the market.
Core duties will include:
- Sell Flexitricity’s Route To Market (RTM) service to asset owners
- Follow a market-led consultative sales approach, discussing with asset owners how Flexitricity optimises flexible energy assets across various markets including wholesale trading, the Balancing Mechanism and balancing services such as frequency response
- Draw on expertise from across the business, including data science, trading, engineering and operations, to gain a deep understanding of our business model and how we can provide a market-leading service to flexible energy assets
- Respond to Request For Proposals (RFPs) from asset owners
- Contribute to strategy development, tactics, sales plans and profit targets
- Help the business understand and influence regulatory and policy matters, including helping to unlock industrial and commercial flexibility which will be a key growth sector in the coming years
- Identifying and reporting on business opportunities in target markets
- Leading commercial and contractual negotiations
- Acting as an ambassador and role model for the Flexitricity brand
- Increasing market share in existing markets and maximising new business development opportunities
- Achieving targets for revenue, profitability and sales growth
The Business Development Manager will sit in the Commercial Team and will report directly to the Head of Business Development.
This role requires an enthusiastic, resourceful and organised Business Development Manager with the following skills and experience:
- Solid knowledge of energy markets is preferred, especially of market dynamics and trends affecting optimisation of front of meter assets such as BESS
- Excellent consultative sales and negotiation skills
- Good business acumen, especially the ability to write often technically complex responses to RFPs
- Initiative, drive and enthusiasm
- Demonstrate capacity to work within a wider team as well as autonomously
- An ability to grasp technical concepts
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Good planning and organisational abilities
- Can work calmly under pressure
- Competent IT capabilities, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- A full driving licence valid in the UK
- The right to work in the UK
- Detailed knowledge of electricity flexibility markets in GB, such services procured by NGESO including frequency response
- An existing network/pipeline within the relevant sectors
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary with an attractive commission potential and company benefits. You can expect challenge, personal development and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic industry-leading business.
Location and people
Flexitricity supports flexible and remote working, although due to the nature of the role it would be very beneficial for Business Development Manager to spend some time each week in Flexitricity’s office in central Edinburgh. You will occasionally travel to visit prospects, clients, partners and other market stakeholders around GB, as well as attend conferences, trade fairs and exhibitions.
The business is based in Edinburgh and occupies a superb office space overlooking Edinburgh Castle. The team is expert and dedicated to commercially optimising flexibility, and positively contributing to the decentralisation, decarbonisation and digitisation of Britain’s power system.
102 West Port
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to email@example.com.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100