Shift Energy Trader
The continued success of the company, widening market access and new services have created the requirement for a Shift Energy Trader to join our team. Working within our existing Trading team and reporting to the Head of Trading, you will be responsible for supporting Flexitricity’s objective to be a market leading optimisation service, optimising a variety of assets in the wholesale markets, Balancing Mechanism, and balancing services.
Flexitricity optimises flexible energy assets, trading them in wholesale markets and providing short-notice response and reserve electricity which is cheaper and greener than conventional power stations. Flexitricity plays a key role in the renewable revolution as we strive toward net zero.
Flexitricity pioneered aggregated demand-side response (DSR) for electricity system balancing, and continues to lead this sector in volume, technical capability, and innovation. Flexitricity provides route to market services for generators, energy storage sites, and flexible commercial, industrial, and domestic energy users. Further opportunity for flexing electrical load is being presented by the electrification of heat and transport.
Flexitricity is a licenced electricity and gas supplier and trades its flexible portfolio of assets in wholesale energy markets and the Balancing Mechanism. It also makes flexible capacity available to National Grid and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) for periods of stress in electricity systems. Participating assets are owned by third-party companies who partner with Flexitricity to earn revenue their flexibility.
Flexitricity is a wholly owned subsidiary of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners. We are passionate and committed to sustainable and responsible business practice across all aspects of environment, social and governance, including delivering equal opportunities and an inclusive workplace. For more information on our ESG policies, you can visit the dedicated ESG section of our website.
About the role
Working within our existing Trading team and reporting to the Head of Trading, you will be responsible for supporting Flexitricity’s objective to be a market leading optimisation service, optimising a variety of assets in the wholesale markets, Balancing Mechanism, and balancing services.
The Trading team operates in a pressurised environment, seeking to find a balance between the optimisation of assets across all UK markets and internal and external governance structures. The team works on a rotating shift pattern providing trading cover seven days a week. The aim will be to expand to a 24/7/365 desk in line with growth expectations.
Core duties will include:
- Maximise P&L through optimisation and dispatch of all flexible assets traded by Flexitricity. These include a mixture of gas and diesel peakers, batteries and CHP sites, and will grow to include other asset classes in the future.
- Proactively seek to reoptimise open positions, driving increased value capture.
- Trade power, gas, and carbon exposure on relevant exchanges and / or via trading partners.
- Uphold integrity of the markets, comply with internal and external policies, and regulations.
- Regular assessment of market fundamentals feeding into the optimisation strategies and for external customers.
- User acceptance testing (UAT) of new systems being deployed on the trading desk.
- Ensure accurate trade allocation and scheduling of assets; and
- Challenge the status quo, encourage continuous development to increase profitability.
Degree (or equivalent), preferably in a related subject, or can show demonstrable experience.
This role requires:
- Demonstrable experience gained in UK energy markets in any of the following areas:
- Power or Gas operations or trading.
- Spot and curve wholesale market trading covering power, gas, or renewables.
- Trade Analytics, Market Analysis, Energy Market Risk or Regulations; and
- Optimisation of different asset types across all markets.
- A broad understanding of wholesale energy market drivers and various markets that distributed generation assets typically participate in.
- Robust understanding of wholesale market risk.
- Fundamental respect for internal and external governance.
- High level of IT literacy; and
- Willingness to work in a 24/7 shift rota including nights, weekends, and bank holidays.
We are committed to rewarding initiative and excellence and we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. You can expect challenge, learning and autonomy in creating value in our dynamic business.
The current business provides the platform for exceptional growth and the launch of new services in high-growth emerging sectors.
The Company is in a development and growth phase and relies on the flexibility and innovative skills of its employees to ensure success. The work environment will reflect this dynamic period while maintaining high corporate standards.
- Highly professional; respected industry leaders.
- Flexible and informal.
- Fun, but hard working and focused.
- Flexitricity supports hybrid working.
To apply, please email your CV with a covering letter highlighting your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch today
Book a call with one of our energy market specialists to find out if you can participate and how much your site could earn.0131 221 8100